Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Great Grey Bridge and the Little Red Lighthouse

Ever since a trip on the Circle Line way back in '93, (when I first saw Manhattan's only surviving lighthouse), I have wanted to give it a closer look.
So what better a thing to do on a blistering hot Sunday than to walk the 6 1/2-plus miles from my apartment, along the banks of the Hudson River, all the way to the foot of the George Washington Bridge, where it makes it's home?
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
Every time I return to Manhattan via the Henry Hudson Parkway, (as a passanger that is -I wouldn't do this if I was driving!), I crane my neck to see if i can get a glimpse of the red paintwork. I have succeeded only twice.

The tall fella agreed to join me on this adventure so we pulled on our big shorts and off we went.
On reaching the Westside Highway at 96th street, I pointed out our destination to my beloved. "That's a long way." He said.
Did I mention that it was hot? We were already sweat-soaked before we reached the river!
But on we plodded, the polluted water to the left and the noisey traffic to the right.
"I want to see the lighthouse". I said, more than once.

Here's the view after a few blocks with the bridge joining New York to New Jersey in the distance:


Thank goodness for Fairway! By the time we hit my favourie NYC supermarket we were quite dehydrated, so this well needed pitstop was indeed a sight for sore eyes!
During our walk we passed and were passed by a few cyclists, joggers and rollerbladers,but hardly any other people just walking.

After 135th street the side of the river turned into on giant barbaque - couples, families and groups of friends were hanging out, cooking, listening to music and playing volleyball - quite a difference from reletive quiet further downtown.

A bit further along - now you can see the bridge:


Even futher along the paved path ended. We continued through the trees having to step across carefully placed planks to reach a pinic area overshadowed by the Great Grey Bridge.
We made it!!


Here I am by the cutest little lighthouse:


A bit of background:


And the old friends standing strong together:


We took the subway back home - it really was hot out!

6 comments:

MUDNYC said...

It's so cool (HOT) that you did that! There are 2 great boat basins along the river on the UWS too that serve food and drinks on the river -- I recommend the one further uptown, I think 110th -- it's less pretentious than the 70-whatever street one!

Rain said...

That is the cutest wee lighthouse.

Ooo yer lazy bones getting the subway home! ;)

Don't blame you in this heat. Even Blighty is seeing some sun.

Anonymous said...

Oog! And I thought I was the only one who took insanely long walks -- but what a nice reward =D

schrodinger said...

I'm fascinated by that lighthouse now. I'm amazed you did all that walking in that heat - yuck, sure you smelled quite ripe afterwards eh? That last picture you took of the lighthouse and bridge is fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now I guess I'm a bad mom if I don't take them there for a picnic?

AmberCake said...

Nice walk! Also, if you're curiousity's not yet totally satisfied, Open House New York usually does free tours there: http://ohny.org/ohny_website/weekend.html