Friday, June 23, 2006

Hot Damn! (summer in the city)

Sorry for the lack of knitting content in this blog of late.
My excuses are:

1: Can't show stuff that's going in my book just yet.

2: Can't show baby stuff til baby is born - don't want to ruin surprise for the mother.

3. Annabel hated the stuff I designed for her birthday, so didn't get any shots of those items, but hopefully her mother will tempt her into them and take some pretty pics for me.

I also wanted to experiment with some summer "anti-air-conditioning-cover-ups".
I love the heat, but don't like air-conditioning. Maybe it's because I'm from a country where it gets hot so rarely, that I now bask in the heat every chance I get.
So, when I step onto the cold subway, into a shop or when my co-workers up at this end of the studio can't take it any longer and I give in to their cries for cool air, then I get too cold so I designed these three comfy knits.

In true lazy-girl style, these three beauties do not have any seems to sew!!! (ooh, except the underarms of Limey!)

Cover-Up No. 1. Is adapted from one of the patterns in my book, so I can't give you the pattern. It's made from the deliciously soft Blue Sky Cotton in a wonderful, (at least for me), shade of Lime. It only took two skeins, so I have two left to make something else with.
Here's Limey:


















Cover-Up No. 2. This is such a simple and quick knit - worked on BIG needles with just a bit of shaping for the front and back neck, then a 3 needle bind off to finish. I used Cascade Quatro, which, being wool is an unusual choice for a summer knit, but I'm a bit mad like that!
I'll post this pattern soon, if anyone's interested!
Here's Sack o' Spuds:



















Cover-Up No. 3. Started life as a doctored Picovoli. I wanted more of a flared look so I went all crazy with the big needles and a lacey stitch. It's worked in Cascade Quatro again, because I liked the colour. (what is it with me and lime green lace?).
Anyway, if you're in the market for this madness, I'll post the pattern as soon as I can get around to it.
I give you Moo-Moo Madness:



















I'd like to thank my production assistant, Lauren, for climbing the stairs to our roof yesterday lunchtime and taking the spontaneous shots.
I appologise for my lack of styling and modeling expertise - as I said, it was spontaneous!
Looking at these shots also confirms that I need to loose my book-weight, gained whilst not exercising for months on end!

I have a couple of finished bags to show off too - I'll get around to it one of these days!

Enjoy the sunshine!!

9 comments:

MUDNYC said...

I'd say you more than made up for the lack of knitting content with that mad knitting post! I like Moo Moo madness, and I always liked your star tatoo.

CityMinx said...

yay yay fabulous!!!!

Anonymous said...

Post the durn patterns already! I want to knit them! Pretty pretty stuff! Love all the anti-air conditioning cover-ups!

Anonymous said...

Wow, cute tops, cute pics, cute everything! You've been busy!
And I love the lime green too :)

Jessamyn said...

Haven't you been a busy, busy girl! Such loveliness!

city girl said...

love them all! did you take a sabbatical from work to knit them?

Rain said...

Love the cover-ups and the names of them.

I know what you mean about air-con. Damnit, if it's hot outside I want to know about it.

carrie said...

i love the moo moo. so glad that i found your blog.

Anonymous said...

I've only just seen this post, they're all so pretty!! Limey is super-gorgeous and it suits you beautifully! Fab work xx