Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Strong Arm of the Knitting

Living in New York City has it's ups and downs. After being here for 10 years you'd think that I would have some stories to tell but apart from the odd "crazy person" sighting every now and again, it's really just life as normal - that was until yesterday evening....

There was I, feeling rather shattered after the weekend's moving drama, waiting for the uptown Charlie train at 42nd Street, minding my own business, thinking about unpacking my stuff and making a start on organising the new pad when an E train starts to pull away. I see a man standing between two carriages. "Idiot!" I think to myself, "What on earth does he think he's doing?" Quick as a flash he lurches towards me and grabs a hold of the handle of my knitted laptop bag that was hanging casually from my arm. No way was I going to let him have my precious computer full of unfinished patterns and project photos yet to be published, not to mention all the expensive applications I've managed to aquire over the last couple of years!!!! I tugged back as hard as I could and I won the battle - nearly bashing into the speeding train as to spun around to the gasp of the crowd!!

I'm OK - a little battered and bruised but alive and intact and have a New York story under my belt!

I don't think I'll be standing as close to the platform edge from now on and will make sure that I keep a tighter grip on my belongings.

Want to make a strong and mugger-proof laptop bag of you own? The pattern is in here!

12 comments:

Rain said...

Why the cheeky bar steward!

So glad you won. Hope you're not too shaken by it.

Anonymous said...

Well I might be soft, but clearly one of my offspring aint. Bravo!

schrodinger said...

Holy Crap! You must have been pretty shaken up after that - glad to hear that you and the laptop are okay.

CityMinx said...

oh my god! miss heather, i had no idea!!! you're such a brave soldier, in so many ways. to coin a phrase: you go, girl!
xoxox

MUDNYC said...

I'm glad I saw you last night and that you did not lose any patterns, photos, bags or appendages to the evil subway bandit. Love you!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I know you're not supposed to, but I'm glad you put up a fight. Hope you are OK!

Lolita Blahnik said...

jjeje you are my hero! No one can get all your patterns easily!!

Passionknitly said...

Hey thanks for the pattern, I think I'll now knit one for myself - if only for protection!

Anonymous said...

I saw that guy on the cover of AM New York the other day and I had no idea that he tried to mess with our Heather! I'm glad you showed him!

Modelwidow said...

Oh goodness, the cheek of it - so glad you came away ok.

Anonymous said...

just read your blog thingy, oh my god glad you are ok and everything intact. i need your new address and a number, something i forgot about at chrimbo, rang but you had just left for airport. sorry about you and boyfriend hope you are ok and member to send me a contact number or else. love you lots xxxcathy andy maizie

Jessica said...

So glad you're okay and all is intact. Stopped in to tell you I went yarn and fleece shopping with MUD yesterday and bought your book. Great stuff in it - thank you!